I’m not often satisfied eating plain, cold vegetable wraps. It’s usually why restaurants add fatty creamy dressing or too much cheese to so-called “healthy vegetable wraps” to give it a little substance, flavor and moisture. Plus at restaurants, you typically receive a refined flour tortilla with too many calories, salt, and additives all rolled together for zero nutrition or fiber. It’s rarely a pure and hearty whole grain. Wraps, like any meal, ideally should be controlled in your own kitchen or at least scrutinized by working with your preparer at a locally owned healthy deli, market or restaurant.
Another challenge for me: I love my food to have some warmth to it, so any healthy wraps or salads topped with something warm is a huge plus. The warmth provides a comforting and sustaining feeling, which contributes to a much easier Easy Skinny Life.
For all of those reasons, I absolutely LOVE this homemade wrap for lunch. It can be prepared quickly, and it is HUGE, hot and filling from the thick Portobello mushrooms and other low calorie, high nutrition quality ingredients. The pure hummus provides my protein, a little healthy fat, plus some healthy carbs, while the whole grain tortilla adds more fiber and good carbs to this lunch, keeping me royally stuffed until dinner. The warm garlic really kicks up the flavor, eliminating any need for dressing or other junk added to wraps. Some raw onions do the same.
The skinny trick is that NO oil or even spray is used to sizzle the mushrooms and garlic quickly on the stovetop. Other wraps featuring “roasted vegetables” are often a mystery in calories since oil is so easily soaked up by mushrooms (visualize a sponge) and certain other vegetables.
Stock up on a week’s worth of easy items below, and try my favorite lunch whenever you are home around noon!
Warm Portobello Mushroom Wrap Recipe
- 3 to 5 thick slices of Portobello mushrooms (I buy a pre-cut package each week for fast lunches)
- 3 forkfuls of minced garlic from jar
- 1/4 roasted red pepper from jar, rinsed, patted dry and sliced
- Sliced red onion slivers
- Handful of shredded carrots (from bag for quickness)
- Handful of Spring lettuce mix (from bag to save time)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Whole grain tortilla, as pure in ingredients as possible (100 calories)
- 4 tablespoons Hummus, as pure as possible (2 servings of 50 calories each)
Directions and Order of Steps for the Fastest Lunch:
- Turn on stovetop to medium-high. Place mushrooms directly in skillet pan with NO oil or spray.
- While mushrooms are warming on one side, rinse red pepper from jar, pat dry and slice. Slice red onion slivers.
- Turn over mushrooms and toss in forkfuls of minced garlic for 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat immediately and let it continue to warm.
- Place tortilla on a paper towel and microwave 20 seconds to warm.
- Smear hummus over warm tortilla. Quickly grab a handful of lettuce from the bag and place in upper right corner. Toss on a handful of shredded carrots, the red peppers and the onions. Using a fork to remove them from the hot skillet, add the warm garlic mushrooms to the top, while making certain to scrape off all of that delicious browned garlic from the skillet to add as topping. Add ground pepper.
- Close bottom of tortilla and carefully roll this fat monster of a wrap from the right to the left.
Nutritional Information: Less than 300 calories! And look at all of the vegetable servings from this one healthy meal. It has so many vitamins in it, I should bottle it up and sell it at GNC.
Happy and Healthy Eating,